Staten Island Zoo The Staten Island Zoo is an 8-acre (3.2 ha) zoo in West New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The zoo is open every day of the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas, in addition to New Year’s Day. It has been recognized as a zoo by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) since 1988. EZ Staten Island Junk Removal
The Staten Island Zoo (Barrett Park) is named after three war heroes: Colonel Edward Harden, Richard Penn Smith, and Maj. Clarence Barrett. In the early 19th century, Staten Island was home to many high-ranking officers, such as Colonel Harden and Colonel Penn Smith. Their premises were directly opposite each other at the other end of Clove Road.
Staten Island Zoo The Staten Island Zoo was established on the former property of Colonel Edward Harden. Colonel Harden served in the Spanish-American War and moved with his wife, Julia Harden, to 61 Broadway in Staten Island in 1908, where they lived in what would later be called the “Harden Mansion.” Julia Harden willed the land to the city after her death, but with three conditions: The property is named in honor of her father-in-law, Civil War Major Clarence Barrett. The property cannot be used as a children’s playground, and her husband, Colonel Harden, should be allowed to live in a home. Julia Harden died in 1930, and the City of New York sold the property. It was (and is) officially called “Barret Park” in city plans, but it wasn’t until the 1960s that the site became more popularly known as the “Staten Island Zoo.” For the first few years, the only mention of “zoo” was on zoo signs. The only word used was “zoological” for the “Staten Island Zoological Society” that runs Barret Park.
August 1933 August 1933 August 1933 It was announced that the Staten Island Zoological Society was incorporated in 1933. This was also the time when the Civilian Conservation Corps built the park. On March 25, 1935, the New York State Senate passed the Egbert-Robillard Act, which allowed the city to take over the maintenance of the zoo. On May 7, 1935, the governor of New York signed an agreement to provide the zoo with public funds to cover operational and maintenance costs. The Staten Island Zoological Society cared for the animals and introduced them to educational programs. The city owns the property, and the Staten Island Zoological Society manages the site. Construction on the zoo began in 1933 as part of a federal government work program to turn the eight-acre facility into a zoo. The zoo opened to the public on June 10, 1936. It was also considered the first “teaching zoo” in the United States.
Address: 61 Broadway, Staten Island, NY
Other places similar to Verrazzano- Narrows Bridge